January 19, 2010

Our winter vacation

We want to start "trying" to take more vacations as a family. We have broken it down into a winter, and summer vacation. Sounds fancy, huh? On our super fancy winter vacation we drove all the way to frosty Flagstaff Arizona. Watch out now! We're high rollers, what can we say? Besides the fact that Richard and I bickered almost every time we got in the car (please tell me we are not the only ones?) It was actually quite enjoyable. I have about a zillion pictures, and I want to start to journal it here before I completely forget. If you care, read on. If not you may exit.....now.

We left just after sun up on Friday the first. A big thank you to the Phipps for watching Rose. We finally reached wing mountain snow play area just around 10:30. (You can see some of the pictures I tweeted on my left sidebar.) The kids were so excited, and thanks to some great friends (thank you Beth, and Abby) we were able to bundle up all three of our children in proper snow attire. They were also able to sport their new beenies, and gloves we got them for Christmas. The big kids were hitting the slops before I was even able to catch up.
We finally decided to try and go somewhere a little more reclusive. But it seemed as if everyone else did too.

So our efforts where fruitless. By the time we arrived to our new destination I was already pooped. Then on my first attempt down I broke one of are disks. So it was back to the car (carrying Tate) to get some money to buy a new one. Secretly I was a little pleased. I wanted a bigger one, anyways. We had two little disk, and a two person flat sled. But I envied those who could carry their kids in the one's with the sides. Plus the over protective side of me thought it would be safer. You know for the kids. When I finally got back I realized I lost my beanie. Total bummer:( and a detail nobody else cares about but me. So we stopped for some hot chocolate, and a new sled.
After a few more times down
we decided it was picture/snowball fight/snowman time. So we ventured around trying to find a good spot. After treading through knee deep snow we finally found it. Where we began well...picture taking/snowball fighting/snowman building. See I got the pictures to prove it.


When finally done we treaded back for one last time down the hill. Turns out I was right about the sled with the slides. On our way back to the car Tate laid down, and had a nice little nap. Soooo cute! The big boys were a bit jealous too.


After checking into our room at the Highland Country Inn. (Which was very clean. As an extra bonus they were very hospitable. Which is hard to come by these days, and I am planning a whole nether post about that. Believe you me.) We enjoyed a nice lunch of strawberry uncrustables with cheddar sun chips for the kids, and jalapeno chips for the "grownups". After naps we ventured out. We were hoping to dine at Brandy's but they were closed for the Holiday. So we headed back toward the little shopping district. We knew we were bound to find something tasty around there, and find something tasty we did. We went into Alpine Pizza which was pretty empty. We were hoping we didn't walk into a dud. After placing our order Richard played pool with kids.

They really enjoyed that, and it was nice for them to have something to do while we waited for some of the best pizza I have ever had. The crust was perfect, the mozzarella cheese was divine (and I don't use divine lightly) and the toppings were big enough for a king. Which is what we ate like. While Alpine pizza was bit on pricey side I give it **** stars. YUM! After dinner we walked a bit more, and I took this dapper picture of my gentleman.


Then it was back to the room for a marathon of Sunny with a chance.


Which was pretty entertaining for a show on Disney. Well I'm sure you can imagine what we did after that. But if your curious as to what the next day held in store stay tuned for my next instalment. Oh yes there's more.

No comments: